Thursday, December 06, 2007

The All Blacks' guide to New Zealand

I'm so sorry about the delay -I was supposed to post it like a month ago and I forgot -merci Christine for reminding me of it!
Note : I decide to add some colours to the interview because it didn't look very well without : so here is the "Rainbow Interview"...

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/destinations/new_zealand/article2794005.ece
From Times Online
November 2, 2007


New Zealand's rugby stars divulge their secret hot spots in the North and South islands

Richie McCaw

What is your favourite New Zealand location?

My favourite place in New Zealand is down in Central Otago, North Otago, and Omarama which is in the MacKenzie Basin. It’s got lakes, where I do a bit of water skiing and I also do a bit of flying and gliding there. I grew up down that way and I love getting there whenever I can. There aren’t a lot of people around and it’s a great place to get away from it all.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

My first love is flying. But I also enjoy a bit of fishing and water skiing. I’m always pretty keen on diving and fishing and love getting out into the Pacific and chasing around crayfish and cod.
How would you describe New Zealand to people overseas?
I think even as New Zealanders we don’t realise the beautiful scenery and what we’ve got in our own back yard. We have beautiful mountains, lakes and it’s green. It’s not crowded and you can go away and not see any houses or people for miles or you can be in a city within a very short space of time.

Where would you take someone on a first date in New Zealand?

I think I would take someone on a ride in a glider over the Southern Alps to see what a beautiful country we’ve got.

Anton Oliver

Where are your favourite places in New Zealand?

I guess like most New Zealanders my favourite places are in a natural setting. I like space, and I like grandeur, and I like silence. And therefore I like places up in Central Otago, in the Mackenzie Basin, where there aren’t many people. I’ve got my pilot licence and I’ve been flying down the northern aspects of Fiordland, flown into Queenstown a few times and around Wanaka and into the Mackenzie Basin. It is just massive miles of nothing but it’s full of everything that I need, so looking at it from the air is a different perspective.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

As well as flying, I enjoy fly-fishing. For me it’s pure and almost meditative, where you’re just out on the water and nothing else really exists, you’re in tune with the sun and the wind and what’s happening on the water and what nymph life or insect life is happening. Other interests include collecting antiques, but also buying New Zealand contemporary art. I like to scuba dive and I read a lot of literature and New Zealand poetry. I’ve got a small, mudbrick cottage in Central Otago, so I go there and rusticate.

Reuben Thorne

What is your favourite holiday spot in New Zealand?

My favourite holiday spot is Kaiteriteri, at the top of the South Island. It’s just a beautiful beach, golden sand, nice water and there’s great fishing. Also there are lots of places to go walking through the bush. It’s just a very peaceful, beautiful part of the country.

What do you do in your spare time?

My family and I like to go camping up around the Abel Tasman National Park or go tramping through the bush. We get out on our friend’s boat if we can, it’s a great place.

Is there one special place in New Zealand you would take your wife on holiday?

There’s a little place in a town called Akaroa, just out of Christchurch. Akaroa is like a little French seaside village; it’s beautiful and quite romantic. The place I love is called Tree Crop Farm. It has little rustic villas and it’s just beautiful, peaceful, quiet and secluded.

Tana Umaga

What do you do in your spare time?

My favourite activity is definitely bungy down in Queenstown, the home of bungy. I like going out and doing out-doorsy things, fishing tramping and camping. It’s right on your doorstep…and you can do it any time, any place.

Where would you take someone on a first date in New Zealand?

I always recommend they come to Wellington. It’s got a great feel about it, with nightlife, Cuba St and a very welcoming atmosphere. I also recommend golf - we’ve got thousands of golf courses here. Being a golf player myself, I'm always telling people to get out there and go for a hit.

Sean Fitzpatrick

Where would you take someone on a first date in New Zealand?

Opua car ferry and Russell – Northland. I always knew the Christmas holidays had started when I arrived at the car ferry at Opua. Then it's a long summer at Long Beach Russell.
I'd also recommend: Wairakei Golf Course - Taupo, Waikopou Bay - Waiheke Island, Milford Track - Fiordland National Park, the drive to Taupo, Hauraki Gulf, Auckland for water skiing and fishing

New Zealand is hosting the Rugby World Cup in 2011. For more information about New Zealand visit http://www.newzealand.com/

No comments: