Friday, May 29, 2009

McCaw takes injury in stride

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/2457514/McCaw-takes-injury-in-stride
By DAVID LONG - Sunday News

Watch video

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw is determined not to dwell on his knee injury that has ruled him out of the June tests against France and Italy.

McCaw has been ruled out of playing until the Tri-Nations from an injury picked up in the Crusaders' semifinal loss to the Bulls in Pretoria last weekend and while he admitted it's frustrating to be out, he's adamant he'll keep his chin up.

"It is pretty frustrating, I guess this year isn't what I've been after in that regard,'' McCaw said from the offices of his management company in Auckland.

"I can't do much about it and I guess I have to be positive to the fact that I'll be up and ready to go for the Tri-nations.

"When I first twisted it I thought it was pretty bad but I managed to carry on in the game," he added.

"I thought it might have been fine but after the scan it showed there was a bit of damage, so the surgeon suggested that I should rest up and hope it comes right and I'm sure it will.

"It was about 10 minutes into the second half, I had the ball and a guy got me one way and another fellah got me the other and I hyper extended it. So it was a bad luck thing really.

"I've been pretty lucky over my career in that I've never had a knee injury, it just so happens that I've had two in a close space of time.

"With those people you've got to make sure you get them right and I've got good people looking after me and hopefully when I get back on the field I'll be fine.

"Rugby is a contact sport and you've got to remember that sometimes too."

It's been a wretched season for McCaw on the playing front with a medial ligament strain sidelining for over a month.

"I handled it not too bad during the Super 14. I was looking forward to starting a campaign where I was raring to go,'' said McCaw.

"It's not quite like that, but if I let it get me down it's not going to do me any good. I've got to think that I've got this time to get myself right, hopefully after a few weeks I'll get back running again.

"There's still plenty of the season left and that's the way I've got to look at it."

McCaw said he was unsure whether he'll be around the All Blacks giving advice over the next month and will let the coaches decide whether he should take a back seat or stay involved with the team.

"I haven't spoken to them about those sorts of things," he said.

"If I can offer something then I'm more than happy and willing to do that. But I've got to be careful and I've got to talk to the coaches about what I can offer.

"It will be a decision they make, but I guess we'll talk about that, but I'm not sure at the moment."

1 comment:

Danny & Jack said...

WAZ UP RICHIE WE ARE YOUR BIGGEST FAN's